MOSH Standard Notice 01-2 - MOSH Standard Notices
|TO:||All MOSH Personnel|
|FROM:||Cheryl Kammerman, Assistant Commissioner|
|SUBJECT:||Adoption and Enforcement of Occupational Exposure to Bloodborne Pathogens 29 CFR 1910.1030|
|EFFECTIVE DATE:||November 12, 2001|
|DATE:||November 16, 2001|
- On October 23, 2001, the Commissioner of Labor and Industry adopted amendments, additions, and revisions relating to Occupational Exposure to Bloodborne Pathogens; Needlesticks and Other Sharps Injuries, as codified under 29 CFR 1910.1030 and published in 66 FR 5318 - 5325 (January 18, 2001).
- Specifically, the new amendments, additions and revisions:
- provide new definitions for Engineering Controls, Needleless Systems and Sharps with Engineered Sharps Injury Protection;
- require the employer's annual review of the Exposure Control Plan to consider changes in technology that eliminate or reduce exposure to sharps, document and implement consideration and implementation of commercially available and effective engineering controls, and solicit input from potentially exposed, non-managerial employees in the identification, evaluation and selection of effective engineering and work practice controls;
- require employers, who are currently required to maintain an OSHA Log of Injuries and Illnesses, to maintain a record of percutaneous injuries from contaminated sharps (Sharps Injury Log).
- MOSH Compliance personnel will enforce the adopted changes as provided in Attachment A.
- MOSH Supervisors will hold appropriate training sessions in each region to review the standard's requirements.