09.16.01 - Board of Barbers - Final Regulations
FINAL ACTION ON REGULATIONS
MARYLAND REGISTER, VOLUME 44, ISSUE 7,
FRIDAY, MARCH 31, 2017
Subtitle 16 BOARD OF BARBERS
09.16.01 General Regulations
Business Occupations and Professions Article, Title 4; Annotated Code of Maryland
Notice of Final Action
On March 13, 2017, the Board of Barbers adopted amendments to Regulations .06—.08 and .10 under COMAR 09.16.01 General Regulations. This action, which was proposed for adoption in 44:2 Md. R. 122 (January 20, 2017), has been adopted as proposed.
Effective Date: April 10, 2017.
.06 Apprenticeship Registration Requirements.
A. (text unchanged)
[B. Non-English-Speaking or Reading Disabled Individuals. An individual who is non-English-speaking or who demonstrates dyslexia or other reading impairments, shall participate in English comprehension or reading comprehension courses during the apprenticeship.
C. Hearing Impaired Individuals. Hearing impaired individuals registered as apprentices shall participate in courses during the apprenticeship to allow them to understand directions, explanations, or needs of examiners and patrons.
[D.] B. (text unchanged)
A.—I. (text unchanged)
J. Content of Barber Stylist Examination.
(1) A barber examination shall consist of a theoretical portion and a practical portion.
(2) The theoretical portion of the barber examination shall consist of questions which embrace the subjects of barber science found in a basic textbook including, but not limited to, the following:
(a) Sanitation and disinfection;
(b) Hair cutting and styling techniques;
(c) Diseases and disorders; and
(d) Laws and regulations regarding the practice of barbering.
(3) The practical portion of the barber examination shall consist of the candidate demonstrating and explaining:
(a) Haircut; and
A. Examination Fees. An applicant for examination or reexamination shall pay an examination or reexamination fee directly to the testing service chosen by the Board to develop or administer the examination.
[(1) The following examination fees shall be paid at the time a person files an application to take an examination:
(a) Master barber — $50;
(b) Barber — $80.
(2) An examination fee of $50 shall be paid at the time a person files an application to retake a portion of an examination.]
B. License, Permit, and Registration Fees. The following fees shall be paid to the Board prior to the issuance or renewal of a license, permit, or registration:
(1) Owner — $50;
(2) Master barber — $50;
(3) Barber — $50;
(4) [Apprentice — $10.] Barber Stylist — $50;
(5) Apprentice — $10.
C.—I. (text unchanged)
.10 Compensation of [Examiners and] Inspectors.
[A. Examiners, appointed by the Board, shall be paid a per diem of at least $50 based on the State’s budget.]
[B.] A. — [C.] B. (text unchanged)