Apply for or Renew a Firm Permit - Professional Design Boards
APPLY FOR A FIRM PERMIT
To apply for a firm permit please follow the appropriate link for your firm type. Firm permits are required for corporations, LLCs, LLPs, and partnerships conducting business in the State of Maryland.
STEP 1 – VERIFY GOOD STANDING WITH THE MARYLAND DEPARTMENT OF TAXATION
All firms, except a partnership*, must provide evidence of the business' good standing status with the Maryland Department of Assessments and Taxation (SDAT). Evidence may be provided by printing a results screen from SDAT's Maryland Business Express database. Once the business entity is located through the search, click on the "View Business Details" link. Print that window, and send it to the Board with the certification in step 3. There is no fee due to SDAT for printing the window.
* Partnerships go to Step 2
STEP 3 – LICENSEE CERTIFICATION
Download and complete the appropriate certification form. This form must be sent to the board by the licensed designee completing the form. Permits will not be issued until the form is received.
Professional Engineers – Managing Agent/Responsible Charge Certification Form (right click to save form/link)
Professional Land Surveyors – Managing Agent/Responsible Charge Certification Form (right click to save form/link)
Landscape Architects – Managing Agent/Responsible Charge Certification Form (right click to save form/link)
Architects – Responsible Member Certification Form (right click to save form/link)
STEP 4 – PRINT YOUR PERMIT
To print your permit, go to the link below. The licensee (managing agent, responsible charge, or responsible member) will need to login with their registration number and password.
Professional Land Surveyors
RENEW YOUR FIRM PERMIT
- Electronic renewal notices will be sent out 60 days prior to expiration.
- Highlight your license category from the dropdown menu, and enter your registration number exactly as it appears on the data card. Follow the instructions to create your password, or to use your previously created password.
- You will receive an e-mail confirmation of the completed transaction. Please ensure your e-mail address is updated with the board.
- Firms may not renew until the responsible member/managing agent has renewed.
- We are collecting your e-mail addresses ONLY for the board’s use.
- - Employers need to have their worker’s compensation policy number and insurance company's name to complete the renewal forms.
- Please e-mail all required forms to the appropriate board.
- Firms are required to submit their SDAT good standing status upon renewal