Skip to Content Accessibility Information

Important Information for Licensees - Home Improvement Commission

  • The Division of Occupational & Professional Licensing will expedite the replacement of any damaged licenses and wall certificates. Businesses or individuals that experienced a loss of the actual paper license can call 410-230-6231 for more details.
  • For renovations performed in pre -1978 housing for compensation you may need to have lead abatement accreditation and provide homeowners with lead information. Contact the EPA and the Maryland Department of the Environment.
  • A contractor who holds a license under the Maryland Home Improvement Law is not required to hold a construction license issued by the Clerk of the Circuit Court.
  • New home builders must register with the Consumer Protection Division of the Office of the Attorney General.
  • Contractors must display their home improvement license number on all of their home improvement contracts, trucks, and advertisements.
  • Home improvement contracts cannot require the payment of more than one third of the total contract price at the time of signing the contract.
  • Arbitration clauses in contracts must be clearly disclosed and initialed by both parties.
  • Licensees must notify the Executive Director of the Commission within 10 days of a change of address, trade name or ownership of the business by certified mail, return receipt requested.
  • Checks sent to the Commission with applications go directly to a bank due to auditing requirements. A cancelled check is not proof of licensure. Only the hard copy of the actual license is proof of licensure.