Taking the Exam - Cosmetologists
PSI Services provides examination services for the State Board of Cosmetologists. For any and all issues that may occur pertaining to PSI, (General Questions, Concerns, Test Scores, Application Processing, Scheduling Issues, etc) email Cosmetology@psionline.com or Barber@psionline.com. You may also call 1-800-367-1565 or 855-898-0714.
All applicants who need to submit their application can email firstname.lastname@example.org
To request a letter to take the Senior Cosmetologists examination or to reinstate your license if it has expired over 5 years, email Barbers.email@example.com
Applicants for cosmetologist, esthetician, nail technician, and senior cosmetologist must pass an examination in order to qualify for a license.
- Cosmetologist: Practical and Theory - $79; Practical Only - $49; Theory Only - $49
- Nail Technician: Practical and Theory - $79; Practical Only - $49; Theory Only - $49
- Esthetician: Practical and Theory - $79; Practical Only - $49; Theory Only - $49
- Senior Cosmetologist: Theory - $49
To Schedule Test Dates
Before you are able to register for an exam and make an account on the PSI website, you must send PSI your application and receive approval. The application may be found below at the end of each bulletin.
Access the Cosmetology study guide/application along with your approval letter, the application can be found in the last four pages of the guide, email the application to PSI at Cosmetology@psionline.com
If your registration is incomplete, PSI will contact you to advise you of any additional information or documents required.
It is recommended that all first-time test takers apply to take both the theory examination and the practical examination. There is no expiration to your eligibility. If you fail, you may retest on an unlimited basis. Upon approval by PSI, you will be sent an eligibility email (if an email address is not provided, this notice will be mailed to you).
It is your responsibility to contact PSI to schedule the examination online.
For the fastest and most convenient examination scheduling process, PSI recommends that you register for your examinations using the Internet. You register online by accessing PSI’s registration website at https://testtakers.psiexams.com/mdcos. Internet registration is available 24 hours a day.
- Log onto PSI’s website and select Sign in / Create Account.
- Select Create Account. You are now ready to pay and schedule for the exam. Enter your zip code and a list of the testing sites closest to you will appear.
- Once you select the desired test site, available dates will appear. TELEPHONE REGISTRATION PSI registrars are available at (855) 898-0714, Monday through Friday between 7:30 am and 10:00 pm, and Saturday-Sunday between 9:00 am and 5:30 pm, Eastern Time to receive payment and to schedule your appointment for the examination.
To schedule by phone, you need a valid credit card (VISA, MasterCard, American Express or Discover.)
Out of State Candidates
If you completed your training outside of Maryland, or you are licensed and practice in another state, you must obtain a letter of eligibility from the State of Maryland to sit for these examinations. Upon approval, a letter of eligibility will be emailed to you and PSI on your behalf from the State Board. Complete the Eligibility/Examination Registration Form and email the application to the email address above.