Professional Engineers Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) - Board for Professional Engineers - Division of Occupational and Professional Licensing
Skip to Main Content

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) - Professional Engineers

  1. Where can I obtain application forms for licensure?
    Application forms for licensure by reciprocity or exam are available on the DLLR website. Application forms will also be mailed, upon request, by contacting the Board at
  2. How long does it take to get a license by reciprocity?
    Typically, it takes one to two months to obtain a license by reciprocity. This includes the time it take the Board to receive supporting documents, such as transcripts from universities, verification of current licensure and exams from other State Boards, and record of work experience and character references from the applicant.
  3. How long does it take to get a license by reciprocity if I have a Council Record?
    Applications with an "MLE" Model Law Engineering, NCEES Council Record are reviewed and approved administratively on an ongoing basis. Therefore, it may take as little as one week to obtain a license.
  4. What are the requirements to take the Fundamentals of Engineering Exam (FE)?
    The requirement to take the FE exam is a degree in engineering, either approved
    (EAC/ABET) or unapproved (non-EAC/ABET). If you have an EAC/ABET approved degree you can apply directly with NCEES for the exam. You do not have to be preapproved by the Maryland Board.
  5. Can I take the FE exam before I graduate?
    Yes. The FE exam may be taken up to six months prior to graduation. To apply under this option, a letter of "intended graduation" affirming that the applicant is expected to complete the curriculum with six months after the next scheduled administration of the exam must be provided to the Board by the applicant's university.
  6. Where can I obtain study materials for the exams?
    Study materials are available through the National Council of Examiners for Engineering and Surveying (NCEES).
  7. Can I apply for the Principles and Practice of Engineering Exam without taking the FE exam?
    Yes. You may apply directly for the PE exam if you have at least 12 years of engineering work experience acceptable to the PE Board, with five of those years in "responsible charge" of engineering work.
  8. What constitutes "acceptable work experience"?
    Acceptable engineering work experience is determined by the extent to which it conforms to the definition of "practice engineering" as listed in the Engineers' Law, Section 14-101(f), which states:

    1. "Practice engineering" means to provide any service or creative work the performance of which requires education, training, and experience in the application of (i) special knowledge of the mathematical, physical, and engineering sciences; and (ii) the principles and methods of engineering analysis and design. 2. In regard to a building or other structure, machine, equipment, process, works, system, project, or public or private utility, " practice engineering" includes: (1) consultation; (ii) design; (iii) evaluation; (iv) inspection of construction to ensure compliance with specifications and drawings; (v) investigation; (vi) planning; and (vii) design coordination.
  9. I have a foreign degree. Are there special requirements for applying for the FE/PE exams?
    Yes. Applicants applying with a foreign degree must obtain a course-by-course evaluation of their degree from an evaluation service. The evaluation company must be one that receives transcripts directly from the university. The evaluation should be sent directly to the Board Office from the evaluation company. The applicant must also complete Form 4, the engineering "Curriculum Checklist,” which is contained in the application form.
  10. What are some examples of "evidence" of work experience for the PE exam in lieu of the endorsement of a Professional Engineer?
    Evidence consists of materials such as sample calculations, sketches, graphs, drawings, investigations, reports, etc. Evidence should demonstrate the principles and practice of engineering used in the applicant's work.
  11. What is the procedure for change of contact information?
    Licensees may update their addresses online at DLLR's website. The licensee's registration number and password are required. Or, they may fax (410-962-8483) or e-mail ( ) change of address requests. These requests must be in writing, not by telephone.
  12. Are electronic seals and signatures permitted on engineering plans, specifications or reports?
    Yes, as of September 1, 2014 both are allowed.
  13. How does my company obtain a "certificate of authorization” to conduct business in Maryland?
    Contact the Department of Assessments and Taxation at 410-767-1340 for information on obtaining a "certificate of authorization".
  14. Do I need a permit issued by the Board for my firm?
    As of October 1, 2015, a corporation, partnership, or limited liability company must hold a permit issued by the Board before the corporation, partnership, or limited liability company may operate a business through which engineering is practiced.
  15. How do I apply for the PE exam?
    First-time applicants can apply online. The filing deadline for first time applicants is 120 days prior to the examination date. Re-examinees must schedule and pay the exam fee by the exam deadline to the Board. Refer to our website for more details.
  16. What are the requirements for the PE exam?
    You may qualify for the examination by meeting the educational and experience requirements specified in one of the following subsections of the Professional Engineers' Law:

    14-305(b) EAC-ABET Engineering degree; Passed the FE exam; 4 years acceptable work experience.

    14-305 (c) Non-EAC-ABET Engineering degree; Passed the FE exam; 8 years acceptable work experience.

    14-305(d) 12 years acceptable work experience, with at least years of which the applicant has been in responsible charge.
  17. What is the fee for applying for the exam?
    No fee is required to apply for the FE exam.
    The application fee for the PE exam is $50.
  18. I passed by EIT in another state. Do I have to have my certificate transferred to MD?
    The EIT examination is a national exam. Once you have passed in another state, the MD Board acknowledges your certification from another state. Once you are ready to apply for PE licensure in MD, you must provide the Maryland Board with a verification of your EIT.
  19. How many times can I take the exam?
    If you are unsuccessful at taking the PE exam three times, you must submit a new application.
  20. When will I receive my admission notification?
    You will receive an email from NCEES approximately 2-3 weeks before the exam asking you to log on to your NCEES account and print out your admission notification.
  21. When will I receive my scores?
    Scores are released 6-8 weeks after the exam.
  22. Can I take the exam in another state?
    No, approval by the Maryland Board does not qualify you to take the exam in another state.
  23. I was approved to sit for an exam but I was absent or failed what should I do?
    Register for the exam with NCEES during the open registration period for the date you wish to sit. Pay the fee to the Maryland Board.
  24. How do I request a verification of my exam grades or licensure to be sent to another state board?
    Use NCEES electronic online verification request system.
  25. What is the fee for processing a verification?
    The fee is $20.
  26. How long does it take to process a verification request?
    Our goal is to process a verification request within two weeks if we have all the needed information on hand to process the application. If we have to send away for the information, it may take a month to process.
  27. How do I go about getting my name changed or corrected?
    You can fax your request to us at 410-962-8483, or you can e-mail it to us at
  28. How long is my license good for?
    The license is good for two years.