Mortgage Loan Originators - Financial Regulation
A Mortgage Loan Originator is an individual who for compensation or gain, or in the expectation of compensation or gain, takes a loan application or offers or negotiates the terms of a mortgage loan.
- New Applicants - ALL new license applicants MUST initiate applications through the NMLS. Proceed to NMLS. Please note new license requests must be submitted through the NMLS, but supporting documentation must be sent to the Maryland Office of the Commissioner of Financial Regulation.
- Renewing Licensees - You must renew your license on the NMLS during the renewal period – November 1st through December 31st. Proceed to NMLS. Please note renewal requests must be submitted through the NMLS, but supporting documentation must be sent to the Maryland Office of the Commissioner of Financial Regulation.
- New Application Checklist
- Amendments/Interim Change
- Print a Copy of Your License
- Application and Licensing Fees
- MLO and Affiliated Insurance Producer-MLO Fingerprint Instructions: NMLS
- NMLS Mortgage Originator Test
- Test Reference Information - Maryland Component (Word)
- NMLS Getting Started Guide
- Work Flows & Quick Guides
- NMLS Tutorials and Navigation Guides
- Upcoming Training & Workshops
- NMLS News & System Alerts
- Apply for an Affiliated Insurance Producer-Mortgage Loan Originator License - Form MU4 (Login to NMLS)
- Apply for a Maryland Mortgage Loan Originator License - Form MU4 (Login to NMLS)
- Amend a Maryland Loan Originator License (Login to NMLS)
- Affidavit of Mortgage Originator Activity - New Applicant (Word)
- Affidavit of Mortgage Originator Activity - License Amendment or Return to Active Status (Word)
- Distance Affidavit – MLO (Word)
- Sample: Required Notice of Housing Counseling Programs and Services Form that Lender Must Provide to Borrower and List of HUD Approved Housing Counseling Agencies (provided by the Maryland Department of Housing and Community Development (DHCD)
Required: Information on Business Activities
Mortgage Licensing Updates
Pre-Licensure Education Requirements
Continuing Education Requirements
Information for Course Providers
Emergency Mortgage Lender and Mortgage Loan Originator Regulations
Advisory: Guidelines for Compliance with State and Federal Requirements to Provide Housing Counseling Information for Borrowers - September 28, 2015
For a more detailed list, see Test Reference Information - Maryland Component (Word)
Laws and Rules
Applicants and licensees are expected to be knowledgeable about and in compliance with the Mortgage Loan Originator Law, and any other applicable State or Federal statutes and regulations. Maryland rules and regulations can be found by accessing the Code of Maryland Unannotated and Rules (Public Access) and Code of Maryland Regulations (COMAR).
Note: To access the Maryland Code Annotated, from the link below, select the "Maryland Code" folder, then select the individual folders or links provided to delve into the volumes, chapters, and/or sections of the publication.
Maryland Code Annotated, Financial Institutions § 11-601 et seq. (Maryland Mortgage Originator Law)
Maryland Code Annotated, Financial Institutions § 11-501 et seq. (Maryland Mortgage Lender Law)
COMAR 09.03.09 Mortgage Loan Originators
COMAR 09.03.10 Credit and Other Regulation
COMAR 09.03.11 Recordation of Security Instruments for Residential Property
COMAR 09.03.12 Foreclosure Procedures for Residential Property