Third Party Qualified Elevator Inspector (QEI) Information and Forms - Elevator and Escalator Safety
Effective July 1, 2009, Maryland Law requires the owner of an elevator unit to contract a periodic annual inspection with an authorized third party qualified elevator inspector (TPQEI) Level 1.
Third Party (QEI) Information
- Third Party (QEI) Information (Word)
- Level 1 QEI process and requirements letter (Word)
- Level 2 QEI process and requirements letter (Word)
- Level 3 Personnel Hoist QEI Information (Word)
- Level 1 QEI Inspectors
This is a list of currently active Level 1 Qualified Elevator Inspectors
- Owner Listing of Elevator Units by County
This is an interactive list, by County, of all owners and elevator units currently in service in Maryland. Also here is a downloadable Excel spreadsheet that lists all units in order by State Registration Number. This spreadsheet consists of 24 sheets, tabbed by County and including Baltimore City.
Third Party (QEI) Forms
- Application for Registration of Third Party QEI (Word)
Use this form if you are an inspector wishing to apply or re-register to be a Third Party Qualified Elevator Inspector. Also included are the Requirements and Policy of the Safety Inspection Unit regarding registration of 3rd Party Elevator Inspectors
- Third Party Periodic Inspection and Test Report (Word)
This is the report form used by Third Party Qualified Elevator Inspectors when conducting a Periodic Inspection.
- Escalator/Moving Walk Checklist (Word)
This is the checklist report form used by Third Party Qualified Elevator Inspectors when conducting an inspection on an Escalator/Moving Walk.
- LULA-type lifts installed before 3/24/1997 Notice
This link provides a scan of information pertaining to Limited Use/Limited Application lifts that were installed prior to 3/24/1997.
- Violation Categories (Word)
This is an itemized list of violations, ordered by sub-category.
- Inspection Violation Form (Excel)
This is the Violation Notice to be used by Third Party Qualified Elevator Inspectors when conducting an inspection where violations are identified.
For additional information, contact:
Division of Labor and Industry
Elevator and Escalator Safety
1100 N. Eutaw Street - Room 601
Baltimore, MD 21201
Emergency telephone number:
Eastern/Southern Maryland: 240-705-9374
Western/Northern Maryland: 410-995-8116