Employment Standards Service (ESS) - Wage and Hour Information - Division of Labor and Industry
Welcome to the Division of Labor and Industry’s Employment Standards Service (ESS) page. Our ESS unit handles an array of employment issues, including, but not limited to, enforcement of laws concerning wages and time off. If you are an employee and believe your wages were unfairly withheld or an employer who needs information regarding Maryland employment, we are here to guide you through the steps to ensure your
issue is addressed in a timely manner. Please view the links below for additional information.
Leave Issues - Having problems using your paid sick and safe leave?
I am having problems using my leave under the Healthy Working Families Act:
- Need to file a claim? Download the Claim Form.
Wage Issues—Having problems with your pay?
I am having problems collecting my wages, overtime, tips or pay for leave:
- Who can file a claim in Maryland?
- What are my wage and hour solution options?
- Need to file a claim? Download the Wage Claim Form
Employees and Employers—Important guidelines
What I need to know as an employer or an employee.
- Maryland Minimum Wage and Overtime Law
- Leave and Break Laws
- Job Applicant Fairness: If you think your credit information is being used against you in any way pertaining to a potential employer or current employer
- User Name and Password Privacy Protection
Note: Employment agencies are no longer required to submit a bond to this Division.
Minor Work Permit
- Minor Work Permit: Information you need to know to obtain a Work Permit
- Fact Sheet for Minors or Hoja informativa secundaria (Word)
For employment related matters relating to race, color, religion, sex, age,
ancestry or national origin, marital status, disability, sexual orientation
and gender identity, please contact Maryland Commission on Civil Rights
(MCCR) 410-767-8600 or visit their website .
For matters relating to age, disability, equal pay/compensation, genetic information, harassment, national origin, pregnancy and race/color, religion, sex and sexual harassment, you may contact U.S. Department of Labor, Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) at 410-209-2237 or visit their website .
(Required Postings by Employers)
- Employment of Minors
- Equal Pay for Equal Work (Word)
- Maryland Minimum Wage and Overtime Law
La Ley de Maryland Salario Mínimo y Tiempo Extra
- Maryland Minimum Wage and Overtime Law for Montgomery County
La Ley de Montgomery County Salario Mínimo y Tiempo Extra
- Maryland Minimum Wage and Overtime Law for Prince George's County
La Ley, Prince George’s County Salario Salario Mínimo y Tiempo Extra
- Notice to Tipped Employees
Aviso a los empleados que reciben propina (Word)
- Allowable Tip Credits (Word)
Créditos de propinas permitidospara los empleados que ganan el salario mínimo (Word)
- Healthy Working Families Act (Sick and Safe Leave) Poster
- Healthy Working Families Act (Sick and Safe Leave) Model Policies
Política modelo de ley de familias trabajadoras sanas (Word)
- Credit Check Complaint (Word)
Queja de Informe de Crédito (Word)
- Employee Theft and Shoplifting Report
- Equal Pay Complaint Form (Word)
Formulario de queja de licencia acreditada por enfermedad y seguridad de Maryland (Word)
- Equal Pay for Equal Work Claimant Authorization Form (Word)
Igual Remuneración por Igual Tarea de Maryland Autorización del reclamante (Word)
- File a Child Labor Violation Claim (Word)
Formulario de quej por infracción de trabajo infantil (Word)
- Lie Detector Signature (Word)
- Minor Work Permit (online application)
- Notice to Employer of Intent to Claim Lien for Unpaid Wages (Word)
- Wage Claim
Reclamo de sueldos
- Wage Lien (Word)
- Healthy Working Families Act (Sick and Safe Leave) Complaint (Word)
- Employment Standards Service
- Maryland Wage and Hour Law: Tip Credit
- Maryland Wage and Hour Agriculture Exemptions
- Equal Pay for Equal Work
For additional information, contact:
Maryland Department of Labor
Division of Labor and Industry
Employment Standards Service
1100 N. Eutaw Street, Room 607
Baltimore, MD 21201
Ayuda en Español: Julio Cesar Carrera, 410-767-2180