Apply for an Original License - Professional Land Surveyors
Please read ALL requirements and instructions before proceeding with the application process.
To qualify for licensure in the state of Maryland you must demonstrate good moral character in addition to meeting education, experience, and testing requirements listed in Maryland law and regulations. Once you verify that you meet the requirements you can complete an electronic application for licensure using the application process below.
ORIGINAL LICENSE (by examination) – For an original license in Maryland, the applicant has five categories that are divided into academic and non-academic options:
- Approved Curriculum Option – This first option requires the applicant to complete a four-year degree from an accredited land surveying curriculum along with two years of approved experience.
- Approved Curriculum Option – This second option requires the applicant to complete a four-year degree from an accredited physical science curriculum along with four years of approved experience.**
- Approved Curriculum Option – This third option requires the applicant to complete any accredited four-year degree with a minimum of 30 credits in land surveying-related curriculum along with four years of approved experience.**
- Non-academic Option – This fourth option does not require a college degree. Applicants can satisfy the licensing requirement with a high school diploma and a minimum of 30 credits in land surveying-related curriculum along with six years of approved experience.**
- Non-academic Option – This fifth option does not require any college at all. Applicants can satisfy the licensing requirement with a high school diploma and nine years of approved experience.
** The board may allow one year of experience credit for each 30 semester hours or its equivalent that an applicant completes in land surveying-related courses that the board approves, with a three-year maximum.
Step 1 - Pass the Fundamentals of Surveying (FS) Examination.
Go directly to NCEES for the FS Exam. State approval is no longer required
Step 2 – Apply to the board for an original license based on one of the above categories.
Once your application is submitted to the Board, you will receive further instructions.
Step 3 – Apply for the Principles and Practice (PS) Examination
Go to NCEES and apply for the exam. Once the board approves your application NCEES will be notified that you are eligible for the examination.
Step 4 – Schedule and pass the State Specific Examinations.
Note: Steps 3 and 4 can be completed in any order. Applicants who have already passed the PS Examination do not have to retake the exam as long as the scores are available from NCEES or sent directly to the board.
Step 5 – Pay licensing fee
Once you have passed all of your exams, you will be notified that you are eligible for licensure. You will be contacted by board ataff with a link and instructions for paying your fee and receiving your license.
License Period: Two-year period from the date of issuance.