Download the poster
(PDF document, 131KB, download Adobe Acrobat for free)
(Labor and Employment Article, Title 3, Subtitle 4, Annotated Code of Maryland)
Minimum Wage Rates
$7.25 Until 12/31/14
$8.00 Effective 1/1/15
$8.25 Effective 7/1/15
$8.75 Effective 7/1/16
$9.25 Effective 7/1/17
$10.10 Effective 7/1/18
Effective Oct. 1, 2014, Prince George's Co. and Montgomery Co. minimum wage rates take effect. Employers
in these counties are required to post the applicable rate information.
Most employees must be paid the Maryland State Minimum Wage Rate.
Tipped Employees (earning more than $30 per month in tips): must earn the State Minimum
Wage Rate per hour. Employers must pay at least $3.63 per hour. This
amount plus tips must equal at least the State Minimum Wage Rate.
Amusement and Recreational Establishments: must pay employees at least 85% of the State
Minimum Wage Rate or $7.25, whichever is higher.
Employees under 20 years of age: must earn at least 85% of the State Minimum Wage Rate
for the first 6 months of employment.
Most employees must be paid 1.5 times their usual hourly rate for all work over 40 hrs. per week. Exceptions:
- Bowling establishments, and institutions providing on-premise care (other than hospitals) to the sick, the aged, or individuals with disabilities
for all work over 48 hrs. per week
- Agricultural workers for all work over 60 hrs. per week
Minimum Wage and Overtime Exemptions:
- Certain agricultural employees
- Executives, administrative, and professional employees
- Volunteers for educational, charitable, religious, and non-profit organizations
- Employees under 16 working less than 20 hours per week
- Outside salesman
- Commissioned employees
- Employees enrolled as a trainee as part of a public school special education program
- Non-administrative employees of organized camps
- Certain establishments selling food and drink for consumption on the premises grossing less than $400,000 annually
- Drive-in theaters
- Establishments engaged in the first canning, packing or freezing of fruits, vegetables, poultry, or seafood
Overtime Only Exemptions
(must earn the State Minimum Wage Rate):
- Taxicab drivers
- Certain employees selling/servicing automobiles, farm equipment, trailers, or trucks
- Non-profit concert promoter, theater, music festival, music pavilion, or theatrical show
- Employers subject to certain railroad requirements of the U.S. Dept. of Transportation, the Federal Motor Carrier
Act, and the Interstate Commerce Commission
FOR MORE INFORMATION OR TO FILE A COMPLAINT, CONTACT:
Employment Standards Service
Maryland Department of Labor, Licensing and Regulation
1100 North Eutaw Street, Room 607
Baltimore, Maryland 21201
E-Mail Address: email@example.com
EMPLOYERS ARE REQUIRED BY LAW TO POST THIS INFORMATION.
PAY RECORDS MUST BE KEPT FOR 3 YEARS ON OR ABOUT THE PLACE OF WORK.
PENALTIES ARE PRESCRIBED FOR VIOLATIONS OF THE LAW
History of Minimum Wage in Maryland